Safety at heights is one of the fundamental concerns of Department of Labour, Health and Safety (formerly OSH), and the safety netting service offered by Safety Nets NZ Limited, addresses these concerns.
There is a universal method of hazard management of heights. It follows a hierarchy of alternatives to manage these hazards. The levels are identified as follows:-
1. Remove the hazard (do work an alternative way)
2. Guard hazard (use edge protections, like scaffold)
3. Guard workers (introduce personal protective equipment systems)
4. Mitigate impact of hazard realisation. (fall arrest)
On their introduction to the UK market, safety nets were often considered to be a category 4 solution, but with the introduction of flat installation lightweight nets, it has been generally accepted that netting can now be considered a level 2 solution of collective protection.
This means that:
* Nets can be installed so close to the work level it prevents the kind of fall likely to cause injury.
* Nets offer a collective form of protection which is deemed an improvement on harnesses or lanyards.
Reduces potential falls and minimizes effects.
Provides collective passive safety.
Nets are fitted as close as possible to working level.
Allows a broad range of activity to continue working with minimum restriction.
Permits greater mobility for persons working above nets.
Reduced crane times and costs.
Speedier installation of roof structure leads to early water-tightness and building close in.
Our rigging supervisor is FASET trained and certified.
Nets comply with European standard EN 1263-1.
Cost savings compared with other alternative methods.
Can be used in conjunction with normal scaffolding.
Wide variety of applications. E.g.:
-General fall protection
-Shafts and openings
-High rise construction
-Bridge construction and repair
-Rail / Road bridges
-Steel and concrete construction
The installation of safety netting offers unhindered and increased
movement for workers above, whilst offering total protection within the affected area with freedom below for other trades.